• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Legionaire

Legionaire

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 18,810 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:51 AM

For the past couple of weeks I have been testing a new type of arcade, one that runs on the phpBB software platform and I gotta tell you, it is pretty good.  With the direction that IPB has gone and the inability to change over to their new coding structure (and no one to help) I have been seriously looking at dropping the arcade here and moving on.  This board will remain open for as long as I can keep it that way, and I will still support the arcade as it is right now.  I have gone about as far as my skills will let me go with the additions that have been made to the arcade for IPB.  IF anyone is interested in taking a look at the new (or possibly new) arcade let me know and I will get you set up with an account and PM your details to you.

There are a few benefits to moving to phpBB

1. phpBB forum software is FREE and most of the modifications that are made to support the board are FREE
  2. The Arcade is FREE but has advertisements that pop up when a user goes to play a game that can be circumvented with a donation to the site (15 euros for a donor membership or 35 euros for a VIP membership both of which are good for one (1) year) which is reasonable for the amount of work that has been put into the arcade
  3. The arcade supports several types of game structures, but most importantly it supports the submit score functionality of the IBPro score submissions (meaning all of the games you have now, will work on this arcade)
  4. HTML5 games submit scores as if they were flash, no longer do you have to wonder if the game submitted a score in the background, you get the same confirmation when a game submits a score whether it is flash or HTML5
  5. There a few options for a decent shoutbox and points system
  6. Challenges and Tournaments are supported, just as they are here
  7. Game reports (for games not functioning correctly)
  8. Game downloads and the ability to edit games are supported from the main page of the arcade (while in the game listing)

Anyway, that is just some of the functionality of the phpBB arcade, as I said above, if you are interested, let me know and I can build you an account so you can take a peek or you can go to http://thedogpoundarcade.com and register there and I will approve your account as soon as I can

• Eagle_Kiwi and Ronald like this

siggy.png

#2 demoneyezer

demoneyezer

• VIP
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

I'm interested to have a look legionaire. I already registered, awaiting your activation. I'm not in a hurry though... ;)

#3 Legionaire

Legionaire

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 18,810 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

Done :)

siggy.png

#4 Whitey

Whitey

Advanced Member

• VIP
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

I think it's fantastic that there are other options to keep the arcades going, but I'm a little sad that this looks to be the beginning of the end for what we have.  This is in no way takes away from what you've given us over the past few years, it's just that I would rather keep it going lol. Do you know if  theres anywhere I can see the differences between IPB 3.4 and 4.2, I have looked but can't find any info on it, my knowledge doesn't even come close to anything you know but I'm willing to learn.

Joining the other site now :)

Thanks again Legionaire :)

#5 Legionaire

Legionaire

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 18,810 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

Activated your account :)

siggy.png

#6 Lady G

Lady G

• VIP
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationItalia

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:37 AM

Hello legionaire, I wanted to ask if you can pass the IPB database on phpBB, such as users, installed games, or do you need to re-register for users and re-enter the games?

Thank you for activating my account. :wink:

#7 Legionaire

Legionaire

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 18,810 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:42 AM

No the databases are not compatible, you must build a whole new arcade on phpBB, so the users would have to re-register and you would have to re-load all of your games

siggy.png

#8 Legionaire

Legionaire

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 18,810 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:52 AM

it's just that I would rather keep it going lol

I would have loved to keep it going as well, but my skills as a programmer (as I have stated many times in the past) are limited.  I have asked for help in converting the arcade to the new format for IPB and have never got even 1 person that was willing to help, I tried to learn the new coding and that did not go well.  I have put in many hours trying to keep this arcade going and for only a handful of users that continue to use this arcade (I would venture to say less than 20).  So long story short, it seems everyone else has moved on and I am struggling to keep a script going, that eventually, will cease to exist anyway, so have to break that chain at some point.

Do you know if  theres anywhere I can see the differences between IPB 3.4 and 4.2,

I have tried to find anything that would make it easier to convert this data as well, but with limited skills it is like trying to speak a foreign language that you have no clue how to pronounce the words, does not go very well.  All of the data is provided on the IPB site, but if you are not a "true" programmer, it is very difficult to understand, I have even asked for help in understanding the new way things are done and get very little or, more so, NO RESPONSE

• Whitey likes this

siggy.png

#9 Ronald

Ronald

Advanced Member

• VIP
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMcGregor On.

Posted 31 March 2018 - 06:13 AM

No soup for you! It looks like you have been flagged as a spammer.
If you feel this decision was made in error contact the board admin.

Tried three different emails..Don't know how I got the spammer flag, never did anything..

#10 Whitey

Whitey

Advanced Member

• VIP
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:59 AM

I would have loved to keep it going as well, but my skills as a programmer (as I have stated many times in the past) are limited.  I have asked for help in converting the arcade to the new format for IPB and have never got even 1 person that was willing to help, I tried to learn the new coding and that did not go well.  I have put in many hours trying to keep this arcade going and for only a handful of users that continue to use this arcade (I would venture to say less than 20).  So long story short, it seems everyone else has moved on and I am struggling to keep a script going, that eventually, will cease to exist anyway, so have to break that chain at some point.

I have tried to find anything that would make it easier to convert this data as well, but with limited skills it is like trying to speak a foreign language that you have no clue how to pronounce the words, does not go very well.  All of the data is provided on the IPB site, but if you are not a "true" programmer, it is very difficult to understand, I have even asked for help in understanding the new way things are done and get very little or, more so, NO RESPONSE

I think you may be right, the amount of work you put in to it for the handful of sites that use it may be somewhat counter productive in the long run.  But, for what its worth, I also think you undersell yourself a little...to do what you've done for the Arcade community over the last few years has been nothing short of astounding.  So many many thanks for that, it's been hugely appreciated by everyone :)

I've noticed that a lot of the newer addons now are becoming costlier, possibly a reflection of the amount of knowledge/work involved.  Its a shame, but I guess its called progress.

• Glencara likes this

#11 Legionaire

Legionaire

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 18,810 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

Tried three different emails..Don't know how I got the spammer flag, never did anything..

Ron, give me your email address and I will get you an account built

siggy.png

#12 lariheldenlama

lariheldenlama

• VIP
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

I tried about 25 times to put in the correct code but it always said "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." :-( Someone else has similiar problems or it's me who is too blind to read the letters correct?

#13 Legionaire

Legionaire

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 18,810 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

I tried about 25 times to put in the correct code but it always said "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." :-( Someone else has similiar problems or it's me who is too blind to read the letters correct?

New account opened for you, check your PM

siggy.png

#14 stangger5

stangger5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:43 AM

I just registered..

I`m the same way with vb5.. :wink:

Taking vbulletin ibproarcade to the Next Level..

#15 Legionaire

Legionaire

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 18,810 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:47 AM

Got you activated stangger :wink:

siggy.png

#16 Legionaire

Legionaire

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 18,810 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:01 AM

For those of you who have registered on thedogpoundarcade.com site (phpBB arcade) and have not been able to access lately, it is because I have had the board and the arcade offline while making some changes to the game layout page so that the games are shown in panels rather than in rows.  I have completed making those changes (not easy on software you do not know) and now it looks much better (in my opinion of course) than it did before.  IF you are interested to see what the arcade looks like now, drop on by and take a gander, I think you may be pleased with the new layout.

This style of arcade offers so much more that I cannot provide, the one who maintains the phpBB arcade is an actual programmer, and this arcade is stuffed with functionality and just keeps getting better

We now have over 200 HTML5 games that submit like the flash games do (no longer submit in the background)

The site has been reopened, hope you get the time to stop by and see the new layout

phpbb_arcade.png

• Glencara likes this

siggy.png

#17 momo

momo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationitaly

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:38 AM

hello

I'm interested . I already registered, awaiting  activation. thanks a lot

#18 Legionaire

Legionaire

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 18,810 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:51 AM

This site will be going away in the next few days as we transition everything to one server

hello

I'm interested . I already registered, awaiting  activation. thanks a lot

siggy.png

#19 momo

momo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationitaly

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:00 AM

hello Legionaire

please let me know when it's done

thanks

#20 Ronald

Ronald

Advanced Member

• VIP
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMcGregor On.

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:05 AM

Can't locate the site, keep getting errors. Can I have the link once more..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Affiliate Banners

• Arcadeoholics
  • Arcade Gamers
  • Next Level Arcade
  • Ronalds Arcade
  • Debbies Arcade
  • 3 Dogs Arcade
  • Deburger Game Room
  • City Land Games

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com